Introductory Whole Group Sand Activity
Objective: To make learners aware that as a part of a community we all share a piece of ourselves with each other.
Music: Toy Story - "You've Got a Friend in Me" song and lyrics 2:10 min.
- 5 different colors of sand or alternative material
- Small snack size plastic bags, 1 per participant
- Bowls, spoons (1 each per group of participants)
- Separate the colors of Trix or other multi-colored cereal into the different colors and make up an equal number of small snack bags - 1 for each learner
- Tear up at least five different colors of paper into small pieces and make up an equal number of bags by placing about ¼ cup into snack bags– 1 for each learner
- Colored rice
- Make bags of sand or optional material in a variety of different colors and place in a basket so that participants can select their choice of color.
- Place a bowl and spoon on each table.
- Place participants in groups of 4-5.
- Have each member of the group select a different color of sand
- Discuss how each of us brings certain strengths to the classroom.
- The different colors represent the diversity of our strengths.
- Each person places half of the material in their bag in a bowl on the table. One person mixes it up and then everyone takes a spoonful and puts it back in their bag.
Point to be made: When we become a community we share a piece of ourselves with each other.
Pair Share: Show Hands Diversity poster and have learners do a pair share about :
1) How does the picture show diversity?
2) How am I diverse from others?