Introductory Whole Group Sand Activity
Objective: To make learners aware that as a part of a community we all share a piece of ourselves with each other.
- 5 different colors of sand or optional materials
- small snack size plastic bags, 1 per participant
- Bowls, spoons (1 each per group of participants)
- Separate the colors of Trix or other multi-colored cereal into the different colors and make up an equal number of small snack bags - 1 for each learner
- Tear up at least five different colors of paper into small pieces and make up an equal number of bags by placing about ¼ cup into snack bags– 1 for each learner
- Colored Rice
- Make bags of sand in a variety of different colors and place in a basket.
- Place a bowl and spoon on each table.
- Place participants in groups of 4-5.
- Have each member of the group select a different color of sand.
- Discuss how each of us brings certain strengths to the classroom.
- The different colors represent the diversity of our strengths.
- Each person places half of the sand in their bag in a bowl on the table. One person mixes it up and then everyone takes a spoonful and puts it back in their bag.
Project the ‘Diversity Picture” on your wall. Put students into pairs and conduct a 2-3 minute pair share on what the picture represents. Have them conclude the time by writing at least 4-5 sentences about it.