Developing the Life Principle: RESPECT
#1) Life Principle:
RESPECT- Showing or Feeling Honor
Quote:“I will speak ill of no man and speak the good I know of everybody.” - Benjamin Franklin
#2) Key ideas:
- We all have the ability to show and feel honor.
- We can decide to take advantage of opportunities to show others that we respect them.
- We build our self-confidence and character when we show respect for ourselves and others.
#3) Lexicon: Respect Elementary MS/HS
- Break the word into pieces
- Sound out the word
- Find the root word
- Select synonyms that support
#4) Describing the process:
- What would respect look like, sound like, feel like?
- Use web-graphic to describe “Respect”, and using complete sentences add supporting details.
#5) Introduce the Question Focus:
State topic for questions. QFT – Question Formulation Technique
“Our Question Focus for this lesson is about Respect.
#6) Produce the Questions:
Materials needed: white paper and markers
Allow about 10 minutes
- Ask as many questions as you can.
- Change any statements into questions.
- Write down every question as it is stated.
- Do not stop to discuss, judge, or answer the questions.
#7) Improve questions:
- Identify open and closed ended questions
- Change questions: select one question to change from open to closed-ended and one closed questions to open-ended.
Allow 4-8 minutes.
#8) Prioritize questions:
State the lesson plan criteria/guidelines, and ask learners to identify 2-3 questions they think are most important.
Allow 10-20 minutes
Group Share Out: Have each group share their rationale for choosing priority questions.
Allow about 10 minutes.
#9) Discuss Next Steps:
“What are we going to do with these questions?”
(Whole Group Discussion – outcome to align with lesson objectives.)
Sample: Discuss ways to show respect.
#10) Reflect: Individual and Group Reflection:
Ask a topic related question for learners to reflect upon briefly in writing about what they have learned.
Discuss and report in small or whole group.
Sample: “What will respect look like for us?”